[CLUE-Talk] Need suggestions

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Mar 28 17:17:45 MST 2003

On 28 Mar 2003 15:52:36 -0700
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <clue at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Have a little project here that I need some help with. I just got a
> bounce from an old e-mail address of mine that I don't use anymore.
>
> Problem is that I didn't send the e-mail. Some spammer apparently
> decided to use my old e-mail address as a return address...
>
> All I have is an AOL e-mail address & a phone number. Because I don't
> have the original e-mail, I don't have the headers or anything.
>
> I've pasted the spam below... can anyone think of a way that I could 1)
> track this jerk down, 2) find some way to nail them for fraud.
>
> Any ideas? I really, really want to nail this sucker.

> Click Here <mailto:marketingpalace at aol.com>  and send us your contact
> information and best time to reach you. Or if you prefer to give us a
> call
> (954) 596-0505

Offhand, I don't know how you get AOL to hand over the info, with having a
legal action started. I'll assume Richard looked up the area code to get
Washington state. A reverse-directory lookup using google didn't bring up
a business name for the phone number.

Maybe you know someone who has AOL? Maybe he/she could snag the profile
for that screen name. Of course, it could all be fake, but it might be a
place to start.

Going through abuse at aol.com -- doesn't seem promising to me. I guess the
best you'd get out of them would be they'd cancel the account, but
wouldn't tell you anything about it.

I'd guess you'd have to contact the Attorney General's office, once you
can figure out where that busines *really* is.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl