[CLUE-Talk] SCO sucks

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Thu May 15 15:57:09 MDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 09:15:24AM -0600, David Willson wrote:
> "Go public with what you think was stolen, why you think it was stolen,
> and how you think you didn't GPL it as a part of your Caldera
> distribution, or apologize to the community.  Suckers.  I'll be
> recommending against you and your products until you make it right."

At this point, they could never make it right.  They have chosen their
exit strategy, and burned all the boats.  But even if they could,
I would still recommend against SCO products, based purely on technical
merit.  There is nothing that any of their products can do that Linux or
some other x86 *nix can't do better.  The only possible reason someone
in their right mind would buy Unixware or Openserver would be to support
a legacy app.

If anyone here hasn't read ESR's Position Paper on SCO v IBM, it's an
excellent read, and also has some good information on just how irrelevant
SCO's products and mindshare are today.  It's at
http://www.opensource.org/sco-vs-ibm.html.

Regards,
Kirk