[CLUE-Talk] Sun on Linux

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Tue May 27 00:46:31 MDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 16:04, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> "'Linux is like a puppy' in the beginning it's great, but you also have to
> take care of it,? says Mr Schwartz. He hopes that firms will opt for Solaris,
> because it requires less care."
>
> + http://www.economist.com/people/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1795930
>
> Hmm.  Having worked on both Solaris and Linux as a developer, I'm skeptical of
> this claim.  Can any Solaris / Linux admins speak up.  Does Solaris 'require
> less care'.  Im my experience, it's about equal.

My experience with Solaris is somewhat limited, but I can't see how an
OS could require much less attention than Linux once it is up and
running.

I think this is just another example of proprietary Unix vendors trying
to convince their audience that Linux isn't quite ready for prime-time,
despite a bunch of evidence to the contrary. Linux may not be par with
Solaris yet, but it isn't as far behind Solaris as Sun would like people
to think...

I recently wrote an article for LWN on the D.H. Brown report on Linux as
it compares with proprietary Unix. As you might expect, the report finds
that Linux is slightly behind the top Unix flavors in all areas -- but
what is interesting is that Linux is at or above the ratings D.H. Brown
gave to proprietary Unix just two years ago. I still believe that Linux
is maturing at a rate that will eventually (four years or so) put it
equal to the proprietary Unices. (Unices or Unixes?)

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net