[CLUE-Talk] Sun on Linux

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue May 27 09:49:29 MDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 12:46:31AM -0600, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 16:04, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> > "'Linux is like a puppy' in the beginning it's great, but you also have to
> > take care of it,? says Mr Schwartz. He hopes that firms will opt for Solaris,
> > because it requires less care."
> >
> > + http://www.economist.com/people/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1795930
> >
> > Hmm.  Having worked on both Solaris and Linux as a developer, I'm skeptical of
> > this claim.  Can any Solaris / Linux admins speak up.  Does Solaris 'require
> > less care'.  Im my experience, it's about equal.
>
> My experience with Solaris is somewhat limited, but I can't see how an
> OS could require much less attention than Linux once it is up and
> running.
>
> I think this is just another example of proprietary Unix vendors trying
> to convince their audience that Linux isn't quite ready for prime-time,
> despite a bunch of evidence to the contrary.

AKA FUD. I think this shows clearly that the "Microsoft bad, Sun good"
way of thinking is oversimplified at best.

Which reminds me: last year the big news was that Sun itself was going
to sell Linux. What happened to that? Did everyone fail to fall all over
themselves in the rush to get their copy of Sun Linux? If so, maybe
there's an element of sour grapes to this pronouncement.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)