[CLUE-Talk] Sun on Linux

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Tue May 27 10:06:12 MDT 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 09:49 am, Matt Gushee wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 12:46:31AM -0600, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 16:04, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> > > "'Linux is like a puppy' in the beginning it's great, but you also have
> > > to take care of it,? says Mr Schwartz. He hopes that firms will opt for
> > > Solaris, because it requires less care."
> > >
> > > + http://www.economist.com/people/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1795930
> > >
> > > Hmm.  Having worked on both Solaris and Linux as a developer, I'm
> > > skeptical of this claim.  Can any Solaris / Linux admins speak up.
> > > Does Solaris 'require less care'.  Im my experience, it's about equal.
> >
> > My experience with Solaris is somewhat limited, but I can't see how an
> > OS could require much less attention than Linux once it is up and
> > running.
> >
> > I think this is just another example of proprietary Unix vendors trying
> > to convince their audience that Linux isn't quite ready for prime-time,
> > despite a bunch of evidence to the contrary.
>
> AKA FUD. I think this shows clearly that the "Microsoft bad, Sun good"
> way of thinking is oversimplified at best.

Isn't that the truth. Sun is no real friend of Linux.
And for that matter, nor is any company.
They must do what is in their best interest, which may not be in Linux's best
interest.
Other than Linux based companies(i.e. redhat), quite probably only IBM is a
good friend to Linux.  And that is only for today.
HP pretends to be, but at best they are neutral.
Sun will help when it can hurt MS.
At one time, SGI was all over Linux and has pulled away with a CEO change.
Dell ran it on the desktop and stopped when threatened by MS.
Gateway, well, they will probably be gone in about 5 years and are having
nothing to do with Linux.
Apple is busy taking what they can and returning little (but I appreciate them
more, as they are not trying to cash in on Linux/OSS like HP does ).

Even though I do not run Debian, it may actually be the distro that keeps the
other distros somewhat together and honest. Debian is a real threat to
companies like Redhat, Mandrake, SUSE, etc.

> Which reminds me: last year the big news was that Sun itself was going
> to sell Linux. What happened to that? Did everyone fail to fall all over
> themselves in the rush to get their copy of Sun Linux? If so, maybe
> there's an element of sour grapes to this pronouncement.

Sun has already announced that they will not be doing a Sun branded Linux.

- --
cheers
g.r.r.