[CLUE-Talk] Bush Tells the Truth

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Thu Nov 6 15:09:12 MST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 04:07:54PM -0700, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> But of course, that must be some deluded right-wing apologist talking, eh?
>
> No, it's Dick Gephart. From Instapundit.com:
>
> So, I guess Gephart agrees with the rest of these Democrats:
> http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

Well, that might give me pause if I thought the Democratic Party
constituted an opposition worthy of the name. But they long ago
abdicated that role. I mean, think about it: what were Bill Clinton's
greatest policy achievements? Welfare 'reform', telecommunications
'reform', trade liberalization? Balancing the federal budget (though of
course it's debatable how balanced it really was, and how much of the
credit belongs to Clinton)? Oh, and bombing Iraq to distract us all from
his impeachment trial? Why, the man was practically a Communist!

P.S.: While we're bandying quotes about, here's another one from
Madeleine Albright:

  Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a
  half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than
  died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

  Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard
  choice, but the price--we think the price is worth it.

  --60 Minutes (5/12/96)

  One of many references:
    <http://www.fair.org/extra/0111/iraq.html>

Kind of like George aW.ol Bush, Dick "Other Priorities" Cheney, and all
their chickenhawk cronies think the price in soldiers' lives is worth it
now, I guess.

BTW, I've heard a recording of that interview, and as far as I can tell
there's no missing context that would make that quote mean anything
other than what it seems to mean.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.