[CLUE-Talk] Political compass

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Thu Nov 6 19:06:41 MST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 4:58 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> "The WB" last night and noticed that the lead "news" story being
> promoted all night was the opening of "Matrix: Revolutions"
> I think a lot of people are troubled by this sort of thing,

I don't think enough people are troubled by this sort of thing and that's what
troubles me more.  If they a lot of people were troubled by it, they would
stop watching such 'news' casts.

Unfortunately,  (IMHO) the majority of Americans prefer entertainment/news
casts, rather than just straight news.  'News' tends to be unsexy and boring.
But, some clever producers over the past 15-20 years figured out how to
sensationalize it and guess what?  -- even the local TV (lame) newscasts are
constantly fear mongering and sensationalizing their 'news' stories about
West Nile or 'whatever you should be scared about, tonight at 10'...

Let me suggest two books for an interesting take on the media.

"Inventing Reality" by Michael Parenti (1993)
 + http://www.michaelparenti.org/InventingReality.html

"Culture of Fear"  by Barry Glasner (2000)
 + http://www.booksense.com/product/info.jsp?isbn=0465014909

Jeff
--
http://isuma.org/