[CLUE-Talk] Teaching Linux and/or programming to kids

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Wed Nov 19 08:48:44 MST 2003

Hello.  I am trying to teach my nephew how to use Linux and/or how to
do some simple programming.  I am fishing for suggestions.  I have
investigated logo on the programming side, but I am not a big logo fan
(though I should not let me own bias cloud the issue).

What I am really seeking is a curriculum which would be appropriate
for a nine-year-old boy.  He is bright, but has the attention span of
a typical nine-year-old.  I have done a little searching on the net,
but have not stumbled upon much that I like.

Ideally, I think a step-by-step recipe might work best.  There needs
to be some gratification along the way.  I am trying to instill in him
the idea of delayed gratification, but he needs goals along the way or
he will become disinterested.

Any suggestions?

-Dale