[CLUE-Talk] Teaching Linux and/or programming to kids

ockers at ockers.net ockers at ockers.net
Wed Nov 19 09:01:10 MST 2003

Dale:

Dale K. Hawkins wrote:

> Hello.  I am trying to teach my nephew how to use Linux and/or how to
> do some simple programming.  I am fishing for suggestions.  I have
> investigated logo on the programming side, but I am not a big logo fan
> (though I should not let me own bias cloud the issue).
>
> What I am really seeking is a curriculum which would be appropriate
> for a nine-year-old boy.  He is bright, but has the attention span of
> a typical nine-year-old.  I have done a little searching on the net,
> but have not stumbled upon much that I like.

How about a Lego mindstorms robotics kit, or something like that?  It
provides immediate feedback as to what happens when you give the
computer some instruction, and feedback is very visual/tactile.
Personally I think something like that would be more interesting to
a 9 year old boy than writing some application that uses dialog
boxes, databases, or other "boring" stuff.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/