[CLUE-Talk] Teaching Linux and/or programming to kids

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Wed Nov 19 09:58:29 MST 2003

ockers at ockers.net writes:

> How about a Lego mindstorms robotics kit, or something like that?  It
> provides immediate feedback as to what happens when you give the
> computer some instruction, and feedback is very visual/tactile.
> Personally I think something like that would be more interesting to
> a 9 year old boy than writing some application that uses dialog
> boxes, databases, or other "boring" stuff.

Well, I did buy a spybotics kit (which is a step down from the
mindstorms.)  I have not used the mindstorms kit, but I think it would
be beyond his ability.  Also, the mindstorms kit pretty pricy.

I also have a one-year-old with an appetite for all things colorful
and shiny -- legos are just too tempting of a treat.

-Dale