[CLUE-Talk] hardware vendor recommendations sought

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Thu Nov 27 14:12:35 MST 2003

At 01:48 PM 11/27/2003 -0700, Jed S. Baer wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:01:00 -0700
>"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:
>
> > The symptoms are that the machine
> > > freezes after running for a period of time, and the intervals between
> > > reboots are getting shorter.
> >
> > This sounds a lot like overheating -- have you checked to make sure that
> > the CPU fan is still functional? Make sure the CPU fan is still running,
> > also that the PS fan is still fully functional... if this is the case,
> > the fix will be relatively inexpensive.
>
>I'll second that. One thing I've noticed, when the need arises to muck
>about inside the box, is the way that dust accumulates.

When refurbishing machines for our RecycleIT project, I'm constantly amazed
at what accumulates inside the boxes.  Our standard practice now when
machines come in the door is to take them outside, open them up, and use
canned air on them.  I'm told of instances when the resultant dust clouds
have been visible on satellite imagery.

You can get canned air at Office Depot pretty cheap.

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
"Oh come now.  At least pretend to be scared.  The media spent millions
trying to psyche you up for this" - User Friendly, 08/01/01 on the Code Red
virus scare