Motherboard Recommendation (was: Re: [CLUE-Talk] OUCH: "flaws in open ssl")

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Thu Oct 2 23:13:38 MDT 2003

I'd recommend the Asus A7V8X motherboard (or most anything with a
Kt400/400A chipset, Abit is another good brand but I have never
personally owned any of their products)

I own one, it's highly compatable with linux (even though i'm using
FreeBSD) and I've never had problems with Asus motherboards.

it has:
-3 ddr333 (pc2700) ram slots OR 2 ddr400 (pc3200, select brands only) slots
-4/8x AGP
-6 PCI slots
-6 channel audio (i've never cared for onboard audio, as it's largely
software driven, mine's disabled in favor of a SB Live!) (optional,
included on mine)
-2 firewire ports, one powered(6pin), one not(4pin)(optional, included
on mine)
-6 USB 2.0 ports
-2 SATA connections (optional, included on mine)
-an extra ATA133 connection to be use in conjunction with the SATA for
optional RAID 0 or 1 (optional, included on mine)
-the usual parallel/serial/kb/mouse ports for an ATX motherboard
-gigabit ethernet (optional, included on mine, default is 100BaseT)
- slot A for athlons from 800Mhz to Athlon XP 3000+ w/barton core (newer
revisions and BIOS versions, almost all the ones you'd buy today are
333Mhz bus speed)

to get all these you need to make sure you get the board that's marked
RAID/SATA/1394/GbL/... etc.

the only reason i suggest this one and specifically not an A7N8X or
other nForce2 chipset motherboard is that the only drivers for the
onboard NIC and other things are from nvidia and rumoured not to work
perfectly, though that may just be freeBSD and not linux, i don't
remember anymore.

should be about $100-$125 depending where you get it and how much it's
dropped since i got mine.

hope this helps,
	Evan Widger
	PsychoI3oy at linkline.com