[CLUE-Talk] Has anyone seen this article on Sun?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Tue Oct 7 10:43:14 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 18:13, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> This has a story about how Sun should spin off Java and reduce headcount.
>
> http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=21727

I wonder how much it's costing Sun to continue Java development, and
what the return is?

The problem I see with Java is that Sun alone doesn't have the push to
move Java the way Microsoft has the muscle to move .Net -- if Sun would
just be done with moving Java to a true open source license, and let the
Java "community" handle Java, it'd be much better off. Java, that is.

I've interviewed a number of people who feel that Sun is stifling Java,
or at least holding it back. They don't like Sun's approach to the Java
Community Process (JCP) and they feel it's too easy for Sun to squash
ideas by other parties. Since some of the other parties are competing
with Sun in the sales of Java-related software/services, it tends to
create tension.

I'm seeing Sun as less and less relevant, and less likely to remain a
vital player, but maybe I'm biased because of all the anti-Linux FUD
that has come from Sun.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier