[CLUE-Talk] Has anyone seen this article on Sun?

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Wed Oct 8 11:21:56 MDT 2003

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 10:43 am, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> I'm seeing Sun as less and less relevant, and less likely to remain a
> vital player, but maybe I'm biased because of all the anti-Linux FUD
> that has come from Sun.

Well, do not be in such a hurry to count Sun out.
Back in the late 80's and early 90's, Sun was having problems and IBM was
considered dead.
In fact, IBM was doing mass layoffs and Sun was considering them.
Then the internet boom happened. Sun was the clear winner on that, while IBM
floundered.  It was until "uncle lou" took over that the company started to
right itself. But, it was IBM's mass backing of Linux that brought them out.
But IBM has stopped by not accepting Linux on the desktop.
It is there that Sun may have just positioned themselves for the next big
boom. If Sun is smart, they will actually not be shooting for the corporate
world, but for the home and school market with this.

BTW, I have been a big Sun basher for the last 3-4 years as it was very
apparent what was going to happen (ppl love to ignore the obvious). I also
think that it is quite possible for Sun to pull this out and be the "next"
big thing.

--
cheers
g.r.r.