[CLUE-Talk] The military takes a cue from Microsoft

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Sun Oct 12 15:15:07 MDT 2003

On Sunday 12 October 2003 10:11 am, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> I'm actually getting tired of hearing all the Bush-Bashing over Iraq.

I'm getting tired of an administration that continues to lie to me, and then
has the gall to ask you and I to put up $87 billion for next year's Iraq
budget.

> When you can explain why it's OK to sit back while dissidents (and in Iraq,
> that was a pretty easy label to come by) are routinely tortured, let me
> know.

I don't think that it's OK that Iraq's preservation is more important than
helping those who are jobless and / or homeless and / or without health care
in our country.  IMHO, it's a crime that we have any homeless or unisured or
hungry people in this (the wealthiest) country in the world.  Where's the
logic in this policy?

Also, with regard to torture - you've given a straw man for your argument - I
can give you a bunch of other ones (China, Pakistan, Iran, N. Korea) - none
are democratic and all have documented human rights abuses of their citizens.
So, by your argument, we should be liberating these folks as well.  Is this
what you really believe?  How much money are you willing to pay for America
to be the global policeman?

Consider:  $87 billion / 280 million people in the US = $378,000 per American.

What would happen to our homeless, hunger, jobless, health care situations if
we used the $87 billion on our own citizens?  $378K sounds like a lot of
money to me.

Later,
Jeff