[CLUE-Talk] Rep Tancredo's Anti-Immigration Stance

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Fri Oct 24 07:04:33 MDT 2003

On 10-23 09:06, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 08:45, Jeffery Cann wrote:
>
> *snip*
> > I'm wondering if CLUEbies share his opinion on
> > immigration.  Any comments?
>
> I disagree strongly that multiculturalism is the "greatest danger this
> country has ever faced" or that it's even a danger at all. I guess
> Tancredo's talents do not include a grasp of U.S. history... whatever
> happened to the "melting pot?" Give us your tired and huddled masses...?
>
> Unrestricted immigration is probably a bad idea -- not from a cultural
> standpoint, but from a logistical one. Unemployment is already a
> problem...you don't solve that by adding a few million additional people
> looking for work.
>
> I don't share the protectionist attitude about our "culture" in the U.S.
> -- it's not one that needs "protecting" from other cultures.
>
> I do agree that corporations that tend to support lax immigration
> policies are mostly looking for cheap labor. Imagine what would happen
> to agricultural companies if we *really* tightened up the borders and
> they had to hire people at competitive wages for fruit-picking and such
> like that. A lot of companies take advantage of illegal immigrants.
> (Read "Fast Food Nation" sometime...)
>
> If we wanted to do something useful, we could start pressuring Mexico
> and other trading partners to raise or enact minimum wages and enact
> better labor laws...

The fact that Republicans generally toe the company line regarding cheap
labor is only half the equation. The other major party, the Dems, are all
for lax immigration enforcement so they can get more voters that would
allegedly vote Democrat. Not to mention that both parties are unwilling to
say much about the issue for fear of being labeled racist, xenophobic or
insensitive. Between the two major parties, the will of the average American
on this issue is just steamrolled....

And if I hear the stupid term "undocumented workers" one more time, I think
I'm gonna lose it. :)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
With Congress, every time they make a joke it's a law; and every time they
make a law it's a joke.
-Will Rogers