[CLUE-Talk] Rep Tancredo's Anti-Immigration Stance

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Fri Oct 24 07:22:54 MDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 07:04, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

*snip*

> The fact that Republicans generally toe the company line regarding cheap
> labor is only half the equation. The other major party, the Dems, are all
> for lax immigration enforcement so they can get more voters that would
> allegedly vote Democrat. Not to mention that both parties are unwilling to
> say much about the issue for fear of being labeled racist, xenophobic or
> insensitive. Between the two major parties, the will of the average American
> on this issue is just steamrolled....

I found it interesting that right after this topic came up on list,
there was a federal sting on Wal-Mart for illegal workers...

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=F294EEF1-C342-40E7-AD0A5F61433168EB

I've always thought that the "average American" attitude was pretty damn
hypocritical -- basically, "It's the greatest country in the world. It
was founded and built by immigrants. We're here now. Screw everybody
else."

Obviously, we can't just open the floodgates... but most of us are here
by accident of birth, because our ancestors left other countries seeking
a better life. It seems damn hypocritical to want to deny other people
the same option.

Besides, we no longer have to worry about immigrants stealing our jobs
-- American companies are happy to send our jobs overseas so potential
immigrants don't even have to pack. We're getting screwed, alright, but
it's not the immigrants who are doing it.

> And if I hear the stupid term "undocumented workers" one more time, I think
> I'm gonna lose it. :)

How about "legally-challenged worker?"

Zonker
--