[CLUE-Talk] Rep Tancredo's Anti-Immigration Stance

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Sun Oct 26 21:25:51 MST 2003

On Sunday 26 October 2003 8:41 pm, G. Richard Raab wrote:

> The emotional is trying to point out that most of us are immigrants. Well,
> most of us were. What of it? If you were in a liferaft that became 100%
> full, would you take on more people so that none lived? I would hope not.

It made me LOL when you wrote that my 'we are all immigrants' argument is
emotional and then try to make an argument about a full life raft (which
seems pretty emotional to me).  The US immigration issue is hardly like a
full life raft, don't you agree?  According to Rita's numbers of 1 million
immigrants, they represent represent 0.36% of the total population (~280 M).

My point is that since we are all immigrants (or were); what right do we have
to exclude future immigrants?   I think people forget just how shitty some
places are to live, compared to the US.   IMHO, since most Americans never
actually leave the country, (where they would obviously see how much better
they are here than most other places), they do not understand the relevance
of this question.  However, it's the paramount one if you're the immigrant.

And if there's currently 1 immigrant for every 280 US citizens, it seems that
there would be enough resources to handle this issue.  I think it may be also
viable even if you 'allowed' 2 or 3 times that every year.

To me, human rights extends beyond national borders, which is why I find it
hard to deny someone the opportunity for a better life.  Granted, most
immigrants who make it here have a crappy life compared many (most?)
Americans born here.  But, if you were born in Mexico, you probably would
want a better life, especially for your children.  The US is *still* the
better life.

If Bush wants us to be the policemen of the world, it seems like we should be
more open to sharing our country with the 'huddled masses'.  How's that for
emotional?

Tell you what - I'll stop using hyperbole or emotional arguments when Rep.
Tancredo stops using FUD to forward his questionable anti-immigrant policy.
But, then clue-talk would be *so* much less fun!

:-)

Later,
Jeff