[CLUE-Talk] Seeking opinions on webmin

Chris Terry tuba_man at comcast.net
Thu Sep 4 00:14:24 MDT 2003

bof wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > Would anyone who has used webmin (http://www.webmin.com) share their
opinions on it: ease of use, strengths, weaknesses, problems, etc, as a
sysadmin tool?

 > Thanx.
 >
 > BOF

I don't use it much, but it has been handy.  It's extremely useful for
those times when you don't feel like digging through /etc, and it's
pretty straightforward.  Most webmin modules (the webmin interface to
the .conf files, and other things) have links to documentation if you
need it, but almost everything is already layed out.  If you're
concerned about security, you can even set it to use SSL.

The only real problem I've had with it is on older hardware.  I'm using
an old Pentium 200 as a router/webcache/web server, and webmin crawls at
times.  I've only used it on a few systems, but I'd probably recommend
using it on 400 MHz or higher machines.  As always, YMMV.

Quick rundown:
Pros:
-easy to set up and run
-intuitive
-modules are available for almost every linux service out there, and
most are bundled
-easy access to virtually every configurable setting
-SSL

Cons:
-resource-intensive, sluggish at times

Hope this helps!