[CLUE-Talk] IBM ad

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Mon Sep 8 05:53:54 MDT 2003

On 07 Sep 2003 22:15:47 -0600
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:

> Just my 2 cents, though... is that commercial going to do Linux any
> good? It had this kind of annoying quasi-Apple feel to it, and it didn't
> really seem geared to the sports-watching crowd at all.

Most people wouldn't know what Linux is, so IBM maybe figured
to go with that and give it a mystical feel.  I have to think back
to when a particular piece of European mathematics made its way
to America in 1864.   What the math was isn't important.  In speaking
about it at the time, the prominent mathematician, Benjamin Pierce,
lectured to his class: "Gentlemen, this is surely true, it is absolutely
paradoxical, we can't understand it, and we haven't the slightest idea
what the equation means, but we may be sure that it means something
very important."

Maybe that's what they were going for.

---
Roger Frank