[CLUE-Talk] Linux/Unix Job Market Prerequisites

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Sat Sep 20 21:35:22 MDT 2003

On Saturday 20 September 2003 12:47 pm, MYlilALIEN wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
>   I am a college student and a Linux/Unix enthusiast.  I wanted to get
> some opinions on prerequisites for the Linux/Unix job market now and in
> the near future.  For a Linux/Unix System Administrator type job, do you
> think it is better to have a generic bachelors of Computer Science?, or
> more specialized certifications like Metro State's Unix System
> Administration certificate?, or even Linux+/Security+/Network+, RHCE, LPI
> certifications?  Maybe even a combination of all of the above.  Basically,
> what is required to get in the door?  What can be left for continued
> education after a decent job is found?  Thank you in advance for any input

Today, it is Linux that is approaching needing ppl. About 2 years ago, there
was a shortage of Java and Oracle ppl (now a dime a dozen). In 1993, It was
Windows that had a shortage of ppl (now they are a penny for a dozen of a
dozen). What does this show?

Plain and simple that technology changes. Constantly. Ppl try to fight it as
do companies (SCO, MS, Oracle, and Sun are good examples of that).
SCO is fighting Linux with backing by MS and Sun.
Oracle is starting to fight the OSS databases and have only realized that it
is more of a threat that sql server (please, give me a break).
Sun is heading for a major fall on Solaris(Sorry shawn) and Java is killing
itself off (too bad, as great technology).

If you are going into computers, don't plan on just one thing. Go after a
great general purpose degree. With computers, that means Computer Science
(not CIS) via a Math/Engineering dept. Good example would be CU-Boulder or
even better Colorado State(Ft. Collins).

If you need into a job and you have neither Experience or Education, then plan
on aquiring some education before getting to where you can start. My
suggestion is do not look at 10 years ago, 2 years ago, or today. Try to
figure out where growth will be in about 1-2 years and be there (too be
honest, it sounds like you are looking in the right place since you are
looking at Linux). You want to be where there will be a shortage, not a field
flooded with a bunch of has beens or others trying desperatly to get a job
via the paper tiger approach.

DUmb question for you. Why are you getting into CS? I ask because I think that
the field will actually be in horrible shape for quite some time as jobs are
exported. If I can suggest something, consider getting a degree in Cellular
Molecular Bilogy (CU excels here) , Biological Mathmatics (Big time needs),
EE (EIther CU or CSU), CE (computer engineering), or ME (Mechanical
ENgineering).
You can divide future growth in 2 area:
1) Biological Sciences (DNA, Protein etc). Lots of great growth to be expected
here. If you combine that with computers, you will have a long and fruitful
career .
2) Engineering. the USA will be experiencing a real shortage of engineers, esp
mechanical. If you get a dual degree in CE and ME, you should consider
chasing automation, esp consider the idea of inventing.
Good example would be come up with a machine for doing network cables. Right
now, they are made overseas and imported. But if you come up with a simple
design to use Cat-6 and create pigtails for the next 10 years, you would be a
billionare by exporting cheaper than they can be imported.

BTW, think carefully before jumping. There are major penalties to be in
different places. I got my first degree in MicroBio/Genetic Engineering back
in early 80s. When the fueher raygun took power, he had a bunch of civil
projects converted to DOD work. No big deal, until we realized that we were
doing offense (weaponry) rather than defense (ever wonder why W. was so
interested in checking Iraq university :). Back then I had a conscience, now
I do not care. I went back for a 2'nd degree in CS (now I write software for
spying on americans; Love the patriot act :) ).

--
cheers
g.r.r.