[CLUE-Talk] Looks like our brains match \w+

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Tue Sep 23 10:01:42 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 09:35, Jef Barnhart wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 09:12, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > It's only a matter of time before we devolve back to communicating in
> > pictograms anyway....
>
> Don't forget the Chinese, Japanese and to a some extent the Koreans have
> been doing that for centuries. The Koreans have a better system than
> what we even use.

Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of the icons and images we've
started using in everyday communication already -- for example, the
pictograms you'll find on men and women's restrooms, or the "biohazard"
symbol and such like that -- here's a page on pictograms on Wikipedia:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictogram

There's even an ISO standard for a set of public information
pictograms... (ISO 7001).

If you're referring to Hangul, it doesn't really qualify as pictograms.
I'm not sure how you define "better" so... hard to say on that one.

> Just think of what the Welsh have to go through.;)
> Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
>  (The Church of St. Mary by the pool with the white hazel near the rapid
> whirlpool by St. Tysilio's church and the red cave.)
> spoken:
>  thlann vyre pooth gwinn gith gogg-erra kweern drobbooth lann
> tuss-ill-yo goggo gauk.

There's probably a reason why it's on the verge of being a dead
language...

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier