[CLUE-Talk] HP to Protect Customers from Linux Claims

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Wed Sep 24 14:54:00 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 12:40 pm, Kirk Rafferty wrote:
> No, I'm not kidding at all.  Whether we like it or not, the issue
> of indemnification has gained traction.  If enough customers want
> indemnification, well then, that's what a free market is all about.

Bruce Perens: "Indemnification is really meaningless. All of the various
parties offering it will only refund your purchase price for their software,
not your real damages. So, you get nothing that you would not get just by
downloading the software from one of the sites that distribute Open Source
without charge. Then again, SCO's rantings are just as meaningless, and they
have zero chance of prevailing in court, so indemnity is easy to offer.

"People who consider indemnity important need to look more deeply into it."

+ http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/09/24/1731252.shtml?tid=17

Jeff