[CLUE-Talk] HP to Protect Customers from Linux Claims

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Sat Sep 27 13:02:51 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 10:20 am, Kirk Rafferty wrote:
> Frankly, I'm surprised IBM didn't protect their customers from the outset.
> It would have demonstrated that IBM are not only serious about Linux, but
> would have also discouraged SCO from suing end-users willy-nilly.  IBM
> may have even landed some hardware and/or support deals from the deal.
(snip)

IBM responds:

"In the memo, signed by Robert Samson, an IBM sales manager, IBM said that: "
Most indemnities are narrowly drawn and are often invalidated by customer
activities, such as making modifications or combining the indemnified product
with other code, which are central to the vitality of open source."

"It said the H-P indemnification requirements "will inhibit customers from
taking full advantage of the open source development process."

"Mr. Samson's memo says "HP's approach as outlined in the press, we believe
runs fundamentally counter to the Linux value proposition." Many users like
Linux because they can view the source code making it easy to adapt the
operating system for their own uses.

+ http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030926/1148000629_1.html

Jeff