[CLUE-Talk] CLUE speakers needed

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Aug 10 17:49:42 MDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 10:07:18AM -0600, David A. Jenne wrote:

> We have a need for speakers for upcoming meetings to present for the main
> and KISS sessions.  KISS presentations conver topics at a basic or
> introductory level and usually last about 20 minutes.  The main session
> includes a more in-depth hour-long presentation on a specific subject.
>
> Please let me know if you would like to present before CLUE and your
> preferred topic.  Also, if you have ideas for topics or speakers you would
> like to hear, please reply.

I would also be interested to know how people feel, not so much about
specific topics, but about the general focus of CLUE presentations. It
seems to me that there is a pronounced slant toward topics that are
interesting to system administrators--or maybe it's that they tend to be
narrowly focused on Linux per se, as opposed to broader but related
issues such as open source development practices, cool applications that
run on Linux, programming languages and techniques ...

To be blunt about it: networking bores the piss out of me. So does
security. Not to deny the importance of these topics: I'm very grateful
for all those who are passionate about these things and will bust their
asses to keep Linux one of the most secure and networkable platforms
available. That's just not me; I try to know just the essentials of
network and security technologies, no more.

Probably the things I think are cool would also seem incredibly dull to
some: text processing tools, fonts, graphic and audio file formats,
version control systems and content management systems ... so I'm not
suggesting my interests should dominate either, just wondering if the
overall selection of topics is really representative, or if there are
others who feel as I do.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.