[CLUE-Talk] CLUE speakers needed

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 21:34:44 MDT 2004

--- Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:
> I would also be interested to know how people feel, not so much about
> specific topics, but about the general focus of CLUE presentations. It
> seems to me that there is a pronounced slant toward topics that are
> interesting to system administrators--or maybe it's that they tend to be
> narrowly focused on Linux per se, as opposed to broader but related
> issues such as open source development practices, cool applications that
> run on Linux, programming languages and techniques ...

It seems like you're looking for opinions on this.  As dangerous as that can be with so many
people passionate about their opinions, here's my lot on the matter:

I use Linux only for servers, so I am always concerned with security, networking, and server
software.  I do not use Linux as a workstation, ever, for anything (I stand by Windows for that).
I've only seen Linux GUIs on other people's PCs, as I use text-based SSH access only, for all uses
(I rarely, if ever, log on locally due to the severe console screen size restrictions).

That said (don't flame me; that'd be a waste of energy and bandwidth), I have two answers to your
question of preference for topics.

1.) I will always be interested in whatever relates to secure Linux servers and network
administration.  Whatever helps make my job easier would be nice, but I'll sumarilly ignore
anything that requires a Linux GUI.  I do, however, administer some Linux software remotely using
Windows-based GUIs; i.e.:  MySQL.

2.) I am curious about Linux workstations and what can be done with a Linux user box.  It'd be a
real tough sell, but I'm willing to listen.  If I can save a few thousand dollars in software to
get the same work done and enjoy the same kind of universal document availablility (thanks to the
proliferation of MS Office, even though I absolutely *hate* MS Office apps -- I prefer WordPerfect
and Lotus 123, for instance), then cool.  I honestly don't know what's out there for Linux users,
and I'll never take the time to search for it.  However, if I'm at a convention that covers stuff
I'm interested in AND this Linux user app stuff, then I'd sit through it.

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)