[clue-talk] Triaging spam

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Sun Dec 26 02:46:08 MST 2004

At 06:57 PM 12/25/2004, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

>I do agree that the way to attack spam is to base it on the content that
>they're trying to sell.  I had a long discussion with someone before, and
>I'm still standing by this point of view:  prevent their advertisement at
>all cost.  It's the heart of what they do.

i disagree. it's consent, not content. if the seller can show that he has a
confirmed optin system in place, he isn't spamming. Case in point - If CLUE
posts a message to Clue-Talk that annual membership dues are due, and that
those who renew or join before Jan 1 get a free copy of Slackware 10.0,
that isn't spam. The identical message, sent to the Windows on the Rockies
email list, would be spam.

--
coriez at oriez.org 39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W       AIM handle caoriez
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken