[clue-talk] The War On...?

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Wed Dec 29 19:18:24 MST 2004

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:

> Is it? It used to be that a copyright only lasted for the life of the owner
> (and that is the limit to which I recognize copyrights). Now they last for
> the life of the author +75-95 years so corporations can make even MORE money.
> That is completely unjust. When did the corporate rights mean more then the
> rights of the author? I also have problems with estates claiming ownership
> over works of deceased authors. Sorry, but Tolkien, Chaucer, and Asimov's
> works are all public domain now,

Sorry, but under US law (and probably British also), Tolkien and Asimov
are quite a few years from entering the public domain--and that's not a
new development, either. There have been several revisions to copyright
law that progressively extended the term--I forget exactly when those
were enacted, but it may have been 1923, 1969, and 1997.

Now, if you said "should be," or "ethically speaking," I think I'd agree
with you.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA