[clue-talk] The War On...?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Dec 30 13:50:26 MST 2004

On 12-30 10:24, Don Collier wrote:
>    You are missing the point of what I had said.  My point is that we DO have
>    to obey the laws that we feel are unjust while we try to get those laws
>    changed.  Getting arrested for a cause means nothing at all.  It is a
>    personal statement and bears no weight in getting that law changed.  Not
>    to mention the fact that you are now in jail and have limited resources to
>    fight the fight.
>
>    Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier wrote:
>
>  On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:56:50 -0700, Don Collier
>  [1]<dcollier at collierclan.com> wrote:
>

>   In my opinion, every American has a duty to obey the law now matter how
>  unjust that we feel it is.  There are ways to make your voice heard other
>  than breaking the law.  We cant pick and choose which laws that we wish to
>  obey.
>

>  What if a law passed by Congress or state legislature contradicts with
>  the Constitution? Or with a person's religion?
>
>  I heartily disagree with this -- people have a duty to do the "right
>  thing," and if that conflicts with the law, so be it. (Obviously,
>  people will disagree on what the "right thing" is...)
>
>  For example -- sections of the Patriot Act that give the government
>  additional powers to spy on library patrons. I won't hold it against a
>  librarian who follows the law, but I think it's a far better thing for
>  a librarian to refuse to comply with the law in protest.
>
>  We'd be in a sorry (sorrier?) state if Americans had always decided to
>  "obey the law, no matter how unjust" -- come to think of it, we'd
>  probably still be English subjects if that were the case.
>
>  Best,
>
>  Zonker
>

>  --

Wow. The above is extremely hard to read. Is your reader stripping out the
standard >'s as well as the attributions or something? I only ask because in
Mutt I have to read and re-read to see who is saying what. The top-posting
doesn't help, but that's nothing compared to having everything else crammed
together with no indentation, no >'s, and no attribution.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous
circumstances would have lain dormant.
-Horace