[CLUE-Talk] Tolkien and allegory

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Mon Jan 12 06:53:46 MST 2004

I see no need to return to the trivium and quadrivium.  They were for a simpler
time.  Did most schools ever teach these in America?  Maybe in college.

I do agree that the current system is deficient.  My parents said that it began
to fall apart in my home town when the teachers got control of the schools.  A
friend of mine in Washington made a similar comment about public education
there.

5th grade?  That sounds plausible but do they have any hard facts to back this
up, or is it another educational theory lacking any rigor and testing?  We have
had enough of those.

I would like to see them teach advanced subjects earlier.  Not all students are
capable of algebra or calculus, but teach it to those who can learn it.
Combine it with science to give them practical use and teach them together at
times instead of keeping them compartmentalized.

The classes should reinforce each other.  Science uses math.  Let math use
science as well, when appropriate.  Insist on proper writing outside English
class.  Challenge the students to think, and challenge their assumptions.

I remember helping my niece with algebra one evening and the assignment was to
guess the answer, not solve the problem.  This was not the teacher's idea.  It
was in the book.  My high school teacher would have had a fit!

I've also noticed that the math books no longer make it possible to learn from
the book without the teacher's help.  I guess that is one way to slow down the
advanced students.

I also disagree with the use of calculators in most math classes.  Yes, they
reduce the drudgery, but they also do the mental work for the students and can
hide the fact that students have not mastered the material.  Let them use
calculators in science, where math is a tool, not the subject to be mastered.

My nephew is taking classes on robotics and aviation, but he has difficulty
with math and writing.  In one class, he was supposed to pretend to be founding
a colony in America and he was supposed to choose the site, but when I asked
him why he chose that site, he couldn't give an answer.  Did he consider water,
fields, wood, shelter from ocean storms, trade with Indians?  It turns out they
were supposed to avoid trespassing on Indian lands!

Instead of robotics, or as a prerequisite to robotics, teach electronics with
plenty of math.  As they learn more, they can start building simple robots.  Or
whatever.  My high school electronics class had a test every Friday, but in the
second year we could do our own projects.