[CLUE-Talk] Tolkien and allegory

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Mon Jan 12 15:39:24 MST 2004

On Monday 12 January 2004 6:53 am, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> I see no need to return to the trivium and quadrivium.  They were for a
> simpler time.

You are incorrect on this notion -- grammar, logic, and rhetoric are still
fundamental to becoming educated.  How can I learn to read and write w/o
grammar?  How can I learn mathematics (esp higher math) w/o logic?  How can I
express myself coherently in writing and speech w/o rhetoric?

> I would like to see them teach advanced subjects earlier.

How would you propose something like this without first teaching logic?

> Not all students are capable of algebra or calculus, but teach it to those
> who can learn it.

I'll be sure to withhold my vote for you for school board -- pigenholing
doesn't seem to accomplish much, does it?

There are numerous examples where 'underprivileged' high schoolers are taught
algebra and calculus so much that they pass the AP Calc exams.

I agreed with most of the rest of your post, but it seems like you are basing
much of your opinion on second-hand information.  More facts might help you
understand some of the problems with our educational system.

Later,
Jeff

--
http://isuma.org/