[CLUE-Talk] a new note in the usa/iraq tune

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Jan 26 15:05:40 MST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:16:45 -0700
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:

> The administration continually sold the war with Iraq as something that
> had to be done to protect the U.S. -- right now! That assertion is being
> proven wrong -- there was no immediate threat from Iraq.

Yeah, that's why Bush, in his 2003 SOTU Address, stated that we had to act
*before* the threat was immenent.

This whole "immenent threat" hogwash has been repeated so many times under
the guise of truth, that people just believe it without question.

> Oh, nice way to toe the party line. Shift the blame to the intelligence
> agencies.

Which party line would that be? The party line of the Clinton
administration? Geez. I'm not going to bother digging up the quotes.
Anyone paying attention to this knows what the official position of the
U.S. Govt. has been, ever since Bush41 pulled back from Iraq. But no,
Madeleine Albright reverses herself, and nobody cares. 8 years of a
Democratic administration were touting the WMD line, but now it's Bush's
lie? Phooey!

And you know what? Intelligence is a tremendously difficult business. It
would be a difficult business, even if the U.S Justice Department hadn't
been stepping all over its own toes under Janet Reno. (Yes that was a
factor, I can't find the article I'd point to though.) The point is that
there's a significant difference between reaching a conclusion based on
available data, and deliberately misleading people. I don't believe Bush
is mendacious. And, as Randy, I, and others keep pointing out, WMD wasn't
the only reason for invading Iraq.

So why is this suddenly Bush's lie?

jed
--