[CLUE-Talk] a new note in the usa/iraq tune \\ "barbarians"

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Tue Jan 27 11:56:35 MST 2004

Quoting Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>:

> Randy Arabie wrote:
>
> > France...Muslim women can't wear berkaa's?
> >
> > Ask the people of Nepal what barbaric nations need to learn from China.
> >
> > Spain...bull fights?
>
> U.S. --
>
> Killed HOW many Native Americans to "settle" the West?
>
> Shot how many protesters at Kent State?
>
> Holding how many "suspected terrorists" in another country (Cuba) so
> they're not allowed the very due-process our country supposedly stands for?
>
> C'mon... get off the high horse.  We're no better than they.
>
> (I'm not saying anything about whether the above are "right" or "wrong"
> at this point, just using some examples to show we're not so squeaky
> clean as the press and the History books try to feed us.  History is
> usually written by the victors, remember.)
>
> Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com
>
> p.s. Yeah, the Kent State one is weak... heh.  Someone else come up with
> something better.  I'm a sheltered dude from the 'burbs.  I'm sure
> there's lots worse we've done or are doing...

Nate,

I agree with you.  Bill's response implicated that the US is barbaric, and the
nations he identified are not.

I don't want to start a pissing match on what nation is the most, or least,
barbaric.  And, didn't say we have nothing to learn from other nations or
cultures.  I simply wanted to illustrate the futility of setting any nation (or
list of nations) on a pedestal.

I know the US isn't infallible.  There is always room for improvement.  We've
certainly made mistakes, and I'm sure we will make more.  But we aren't
barbarians.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy