[CLUE-Talk] Linux Journal: RC Awards

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jul 8 10:23:16 MDT 2004

On Jul 7, 2004, at 10:35 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:48:13 -0600
> Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

>> Vote for your favorite Linux stuff:
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/rc2004/
>
> I'd like to encourage anyone taking this poll to write in
> http://linuxgazette.net/ for "Favorite Linux Site", as a message of
> disapproval to SSC publications for their heavy-handed tactics against
> Linux Gazette. If you do, make sure you use the ".net", not the "Linux
> Gazette" choice, which refers to the ".com" version which is run by
> SSC.
>
> jed

This sounds like it's more of a problem of a bad choice of site name on
someone's part than something any poll for "Favorite Linux Site" is
going to "fix".

I don't know the history but why did they choose the same name as
someone else's commercial venture in the first place?  Seems rather
irresponsible if linuxgazette.com was there first.

Yes we techies all know the difference between a .com, .net, .org, .us
-- but that also gives us a responsibility to understand that most
people don't get it and never will.  And choose our names accordingly.

(And yes, I know some other guy has natetech.net and it's an adult joke
site.  Hahaha... one of the many reasons my domain name would be
inappropriate for anything but personal use!)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com