[CLUE-Talk] PeoplePC linux hostile? Browser redirect to welcome screen

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. jnagyjr at joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org
Fri Jul 23 13:52:03 MDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:58:12AM -0600, Young, Ed wrote the following:
> A friend has decided to experiment with PeoplePC as his ISP. The problem is
> that he can log in successfully using CHAP, and can get to the home screen,
> but any time he tries to enter a URL he gets redirected to the PeoplePC
> welcome screen where he is invited to download their software or have a disk
> sent out to him. Naturally all this is windows centric so no one speaks
> linux.
>

> He got it to work with Earthlink with no problem.
>

> Has anyone been around the block with this and have a solution I can pass
> on?

The first thing I'd do is try turning off JavaScript in his browser. If that
doesn't solve it they probably are using serverside scripting and the only
thing he can do is have his browser send a different UA id string (Firefox
supports this in a module and Opera can do this without any extra software).

--
AIM: pres CTHULHU | ICQ: 18115568 | Yahoo: pagan_prince
Jabber: DarkKnightRadick@(jabber.org|amessage.at) | Libertarian @ Large