[CLUE-Talk] What to do when an ISP does not answer...

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Mon Jul 26 10:00:53 MDT 2004

This is an interesting situation, so I wanted to pose the scenario to
the various LUG folks for feedback and suggestions.

A certain ISP in the Denver Metro area has a particular IP address that
contains a malwared M$ box that has been spoofing Linux ETC's email
addresses (and the old ITEC ones too).  We have traced the IP address to
who it belongs to, attempted numerous times to contact their "abuse"
department (if there is such) with no such luck nor positive response,
and still get the rejected emails that originated from this malwared M$
box.

I can see from a legal point of view potentially SPAM-CANN could play
here, however since this IP is even listed on Spam Haus and other
various XBL's...well, apparently their ISP does not care or does not
know (I am presuming the later after spending 30 minutes through this
IP's ISP's phone queue on two different occasions to get no where and
redirected).

Thoughts, comments, and suggestions are welcomed here.  Practical ones
as well since the idea of a DoS against the IP address might be
considered an act of terrorism by the Patriot Act. ;-)

TIA.  BTW, I get CLUE-Talk in digest form, so pardon delays on any
questions related to this scenario.

--- Crawford

--
The Linux ETC Company