[CLUE-Talk] Linux programmer needed with Kernel 2.6

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Jun 2 16:15:38 MDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:39:06 -0700 (PDT)
William <bkimball1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My employer charges customers over $200/hour whenver I'm on the job.  Of
> that -- in total honesty-- I keep just $22/hour.

Whew! That's about twice as bad as the worst I ever put up with. It's also
one reason why many consulting firms won't tell consultants their charge
rates.

I will tell you that I've worked for a few consulting firms, where the
contract was n% of bill rate. I always felt better working under those
terms. And none of those companies have gone under.

Yes, there's overhead. How much depends upon what other "services"
accompany the actual hours worked. Is it pure hourly, or are there other
risks the company is undertaking, such as guarantees? There's travel time,
per-diem, hotels, rental cars -- all of this stuff ads up. Some consulting
firms pay bench time.

But, I will come right out and say that anything less than %50 of bill
rate looks bad to me. I'd have to see a lot of justification for a company
keeping that big a slice, and I much prefer companies which are
forthcoming about it.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/