[CLUE-Talk] the HURD

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jun 8 17:28:15 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> You know, I thought the HURD was a great idea... but can anyone tell
> me why this project is taking so long.  Is it really that much harder
> to write a microkernel based system?

 From what I've read over the years, the two things that continually
kill off any momentum the HURD project gets are what are affectionately
known around my workplace as "Layers 8 and 9 of the OSI Model".
Religion, and Politics.  :-)

I believe there are commercial examples of microkernel applications out
there -- but I doubt they'd share their manpower timelines for how long
it took them to create them.  ;-)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com