[CLUE-Talk] The Oxford English Dictionary

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Jun 20 21:01:31 MDT 2004

So I recently bought a copy of the OED, the hardcopy with all 20 volumes
photo-reduced into one 2400 page volume, 9 pages to the page (with magnifying
glass).  It is such an amazing dictionary, particularly for reading Chaucer,
Milton, Shakespeare, and other classical authors that wrote in an older
English.  I must be a serious geek, as I have spent many hours this weekend
just reading  the OED.  The illustrative quotes for each word, some going
back to the 1000s or earlier, are truly amazing.  It is a staggering and
monumental work of scholarship.

Now, to the quasi-linux point.  OUP releases the OED on CD-ROM.  It is
expensive (~$200), but cheaper than the printed version.  Further, the CD-ROM
is currently the most up-to-date version of the dictionary, as they are
updating it quarterly with edits that will one day be the 3rd Ed.  One day
I'd like to have an electronic version of this oh-so-amazing dictionary.

Alas, it is Windows-only.  No Mac, even.  I am curious if anyone on the list
has this?  Any chance it works with WINE?  It's a long shot, but I thought
I'd ask.

(There is also an on-line subscription -- but at $300/year, that is even
harder to justify.  Even for a serious language nut like myself).

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...