[CLUE-Talk] The Oxford English Dictionary

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Jun 23 23:58:41 MDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:43:20PM -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> >Alas, it is Windows-only.  No Mac, even.  I am curious if anyone on the
> >list has this?  Any chance it works with WINE?  It's a long shot, but I
> >thought I'd ask.
> >

> Why is it Windows only?  I mean I looked at the thing, it must have some
> crazy compression to fit all of that on just one CD.  If you can find
> out what kind of format it is on the CD, maybe there's a simple way to
> look at it--something that would make you feel comfortable that you
> didn't need to use WINE?

Hmm ... well, a co-worker of mine had an electronic OED several years
ago, and if I remember right the package included a Windows-based
proprietary viewer. So deciphering the data format might well not be
good enough.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.