[CLUE-Talk] The Oxford English Dictionary

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jun 21 11:20:10 MDT 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 10:43 am, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Why is it Windows only?  I mean I looked at the thing, it must have some
> crazy compression to fit all of that on just one CD.  If you can find
> out what kind of format it is on the CD, maybe there's a simple way to
> look at it--something that would make you feel comfortable that you
> didn't need to use WINE?

Well, I would guess that it is WIndows only because they use some form of
DRM/copy protection.  (C-dilla?)  I bet that is what is Windows only.  Older
versions of the software would work on a Mac.  But not v3.

As for hacking it, I could try, but then I 'd have to spend a couple hundred
dollars to find out if I can. :-)  But as I am but a povre scoler, that is
currently difficult.

It was also most certainly be a violation of the TOS.

It's a shame about the OED, too.  It is a such a prime candidate for 100%
cross-platform compatibility.  HTML would just work fine.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...