[CLUE-Talk] WordPerfect for Linux is back --- more or less

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat May 1 11:41:47 MDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 01:03:52PM +0000, BOF wrote:
> Corel has decided to "update" WP for Linux. According to the below
> article, what has been done is to take WP8 for Linux and bug fix it.

According to a discussion on another LUG list, they've mainly given it a
new installer.

> And now for the very, very clever part: Corel is marketing this as a
> "Proof of Concept" in which the user gets to buy WP for only $29.95 +
> $6.00 S/H. Supposedly the number of suckers, Oops, Sorry!, buyers, will
> then determine if Corel goes on to develop a full-blown product.
>
> So, in essence, the user is paying for a Beta-quality product. This is a
> degree of chutzpah that even MS has not yet achieved

Is it chutzpah, or desperation?

> I'd like to see this succeed: I am, and have been, of the opinion that
> WP was the best word-processing program of all time.

Hear, hear!

> So I'd like to see
> this work, in spite of the sarcastic tone of this e-mail.

I guess, but it's probably too little, too late. After all, the
WordPerfect we knew and loved was a creature of the 80s. Then while MS
was busy taking over the market, Novell killed it, then sold the corpse
to Corel.

> I'm just not sure about paying someone to test their software for them.
> Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Damn right.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through