[CLUE-Talk] Marketing Your Linux Skills

Patty Laushman patty at theuptimegroup.com
Fri May 7 13:10:53 MDT 2004

Personally, when I review resumes to hire people for my Linux consulting
company, I don't care what format they come in with -- MS Word, Open Office,
PDF, text -- because I can read them all.  What you need to consider,
however, is who is most likely to screen your resume before it gets to
someone competent enough to be able to open any format a resume may come in.
My advice would be to appeal to the lowest common denominator and always
send your resume in MS word format.

Oftentimes, the first person to look at your resume either at a staffing
agency or a company is NOT a technical person.  Why take a chance the person
who first reads your resume doesn't pass it on to the appropriate person
because they can't deal with the format you used? Additionally, many
companies use resume-warehousing software that automates entry of Word-based
resumes into a database, and if they have to enter yours by hand, you're
reducing your chances of your resume getting in front of the right people.

Patty Laushman
The Uptime Group, Inc.
(303) 757-4611, Ext. 404
http://www.theuptimegroup.com