[CLUE-Talk] MS and IP

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Nov 10 12:42:30 MST 2004

> Re: [CLUE-Talk] MS and IP
> From:
> "JD. Brown" <brownstixzz at yahoo.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:35:23 -0800 (PST)
> To:
> clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us
>
> To:
> clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us
>

>I have! This came up a few days ago. It's only a matter of time before M.S. pulls another nonsense
>move to try to shut linux down.
>
>It's another B.S. tactic scare. Like always from them. I could care less if they do it.
>The reason being, It'll hose up our judicial system from commercial and opensourse software fights
>and possibly ban our so called IP patents for good.

I doubt this will go to court.  This looks more like Microsoft trying to
influence business decisions about using their products over others by
making it look like they are somehow more
trusted/knowledgable/compatible with internet protocols.  The article
mentions IP v4 and 6, and I think there might actually be "prior art" in
this case by oh, say the U.S. government?  I think the article itself is
sort of trying to scare people.  As far as I can tell from the Royalty
Free Protocol Agreement
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/randz/protocol/royalty_free_protocol_license_agreement.asp),
they aren't really claiming to own the intellectual property of many of
those protocols, but rather maybe only an implementation of them.

Angelo