[CLUE-Talk] RFP - web host

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 11:05:52 MST 2004

If bandwidth use will be low and you're that anal about it, do it yourself.  I do.  I run my own
bank of several servers over an ADSL line (1.2mbps u/d, 20Gig per month) and it more than meets my
needs -- running about seven domains with fully featured dns/web/ftp/pop/smtp/nntp/irc.  :)  "If
you want something done right, you sometimes have to do it yourself."  Besides, I obviously don't
pay anyone for hosting fees and get all the e-mail addys and domains/sub-domains that I could ever
need.  ;)

--- Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:

> Server must be Linux box. I hate security holes.
>
> Client needs something less than 200M of space and a handful or 3 of email
> addresses.  Intent is to alias addresses to other mailboxes off site, so
> spool capacity for the mail boxes is not critical.  Bandwidth use will
> probably be low
>
> Mail must have spam and virus filtering, ideally permitting us to select
> our own dnsbls at the domain level (we'll use Spamhaus, SPEWS, SORBS, AHBL,
> NJABL, RFC Ignorant, Spamcop, several country level blackholes.us zones)
>
> upstream connectivity must be via a backbone provider that has a good
> anti-spam rep with Spamhaus. (eg - zero ROKSO listings and minimal non
> ROKSO listings - age of listings will be
> considered).    http://spamhaus.org.uk  We don't want our mail blocked
> because the ISP is hanging off a backbone provider that harbors spammers,
> like MCI or SBC for instance.  Someone downstream from coop.net would be nice.
>
> Availability of iptables or htaccess to block access from harvesters
>
> Access to access_log for our site for stats analysis, or webalizer report
> access for our domain, or equivalent
>
> Doesn't require SSL. Doesn't require CGI.  Pages will be mostly static with
> some javascript thrown in.
>
> Contract must provide that spammers will be terminated. If ISP failure to
> terminate spammers gets our space listed in SPEWS, SORBS, AHBL, ISP agrees
> to pay cost of moving or smarthosting mail while they act to terminate the
> spammers.
>
> Colorado based host preferred.
>
> --
> coriez at oriez.org  39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
> "All children should be aptitude-tested at an early age and, if their main
> or only aptitude is for marketing, drowned." -- David Canzi,
> news.admin.net-abuse.email, 2001-03-21

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)