[CLUE-Talk] RFP - web host

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Sun Nov 28 06:27:14 MST 2004

At 11:05 AM 11/27/2004, William wrote:

>If bandwidth use will be low and you're that anal about it, do it
>yourself.  I do.  I run my own
>bank of several servers over an ADSL line

That involves acquiring an additional box to function as the server.  My
requirements are minimal enough that a shared server is adequate.  When I
plugged as many of my requirements as possible into a search engine
(everything but the upstream and the spam filters) I got 80 hits at $5 or
less.  Limit it to US companies only, and it only reduced the count to 69
hosts.

If I can get what I want for $60 a year, why spend money buying an
additional box and hanging it on my home DSL line.  Not that I agree with
your typification that performing due diligence qualifies as being
anal.  Asking what spam filters they use and whether their upstream
terminates spammers rather than continuing to host them until they get
listed on the anti-spam databases as spam friendly, blocking me and their
other legit customers as well, hardly qualifies as anal. Besides. some of
the dnsbls list home dsl connections as likely spam sources.

If more people were that "anal" so as to perform due diligence before
selecting a host, we wouldn't have 10 people a day coming to nanae to
complain that their mail was blocked because they are the only customer
their ISP has who doesn't qualify as a pusher of "porn, pills, and @*#?%
enlargements".