[CLUE-Talk] RFP - web host

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 12:12:06 MST 2004

Hey, if you're incapable, that's your call.  :)  I'm not going to debate this with you, but
remember that you are posting to a Linux list where the spirit is "Do it yourself."  I've been
doing this for roughly 4 years and I have not experienced blacklisting.  It can be done, if you
bother to educate yourself.

--- Charles Oriez wrote:

> At 11:05 AM 11/27/2004, William wrote:
>
> >If bandwidth use will be low and you're that anal about it, do it
> >yourself.  I do.  I run my own
> >bank of several servers over an ADSL line
>
> That involves acquiring an additional box to function as the server.  My
> requirements are minimal enough that a shared server is adequate.  When I
> plugged as many of my requirements as possible into a search engine
> (everything but the upstream and the spam filters) I got 80 hits at $5 or
> less.  Limit it to US companies only, and it only reduced the count to 69
> hosts.
>
> If I can get what I want for $60 a year, why spend money buying an
> additional box and hanging it on my home DSL line.  Not that I agree with
> your typification that performing due diligence qualifies as being
> anal.  Asking what spam filters they use and whether their upstream
> terminates spammers rather than continuing to host them until they get
> listed on the anti-spam databases as spam friendly, blocking me and their
> other legit customers as well, hardly qualifies as anal. Besides. some of
> the dnsbls list home dsl connections as likely spam sources.
>
> If more people were that "anal" so as to perform due diligence before
> selecting a host, we wouldn't have 10 people a day coming to nanae to
> complain that their mail was blocked because they are the only customer
> their ISP has who doesn't qualify as a pusher of "porn, pills, and @*#?%
> enlargements".

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)