[CLUE-Talk] RFP - web host

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 13:14:49 MST 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:27:14 -0700, Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:
> At 11:05 AM 11/27/2004, William wrote:
>
> That involves acquiring an additional box to function as the server.  My
> requirements are minimal enough that a shared server is adequate.  When I
> plugged as many of my requirements as possible into a search engine
> (everything but the upstream and the spam filters) I got 80 hits at $5 or
> less.  Limit it to US companies only, and it only reduced the count to 69
> hosts.

Your hosting resource requirements may be minimal enough, but your
demands "access to iptables" for example, are absolutely incompatible
with shared hosting.

Shared hosting is for hobbyists. If you want to call all the shots, be
prepared to buck up some money for it -- ie, a dedicated server. I
agree that a hosting provider should be extremely anti-spam, but
reading through your post it just struck me as very demanding for
someone who's looking to plunk down very little money. Perhaps it was
more a tone thing than the actual requests (spam filtering is
reasonable, not sure about picking your own blacklists...)

Which, in my experience, is typical: The cheaper customers expect the
world for nothing, and the customers that pay $10K a month are usually
pretty easy to work with. (And if they're not, at least they're paying
for the privilege of being demanding... it certainly makes it easier
to cope with.)

Why not get the client some spamcop addresses and be done with it? $30
per year for one user, and I think they have group programs... not
sure, since I haven't needed to use more than one spamcop address...

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
xonker at gmail.com
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy
to state I finally won out over it." ~ Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"