[CLUE-Talk] Is Qwest likely to allow me to use Cisco 675 modem on new DSL installation?

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Oct 12 11:37:22 MDT 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 10:56, John Kennedy wrote:
> Good morning,

> What I am wondering is... is it likely that I can order a
> Qwest DSL connection and use this modem and do the install on
> my end myself?

> John Kennedy

Sadly, no, and it is not just Qwest being jerks.  The 675 is CAP
line-encoding only.  That type of service is now grandfathered at
Qwest:  they won't dismantle an existing CAP line, but they won't
install a new line that way.

All new service uses DMT (T1.413, precisely) line encoding.  The 675
is incapable of using that protocol.  The 678 can.

Sorry,

Tim

PS -> I successfully use Qwest DSL with a Zoom X4, which is completely
unsupported.  So you don't have to use the Qwest-supplied modem, but
it must support the correct line encoding.
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...