[CLUE-Talk] FW: Hacker story for Denver Post

Patty Laushman patty at theuptimegroup.com
Fri Oct 22 12:03:08 MDT 2004

explain how this all came about.  As you all know, my company does Linux and
open source consulting for small- to medium-sized businesses, and thus I
would like to help Ross at the Denver Post increase awareness of open source
technology in the the general business population. I want them to know that
Linux is a good alternative to MS products and that it delivers unique
advantages that MS can't offer.

Ross agrees that Linux is a good topic in general, but a story that is
hardly more than a history lesson (Linus Torvalds, market share, major
vendors, etc.) will be interesting to no one except us, the Linux community.
To get people interested in the topic, he needs to have a "hook," or
something that captures people's attention and gets them to read the
article.  There's no point in writing a story that no one reads.

The reality is that hacker is a loaded word that captures people's
attention, and the tie-in to a Linux article is that most people who
consider themselves "hackers" use Linux themselves for a variety of reasons.
The "hacker" or "reformed hacker" subject will be the interesting
personality with an interesting story that hooks people into reading a story
about Linux.  The point is not to propagate a stereotype -- it's to educate
them on Linux.

I have met with Ross and deem him to be an intelligent, open minded,
responsible person who is interested in the world of Linux. Yes, there are
examples of irresponsible journalism out there, just as irresponsibility
exists in every other human-controlled institution. There has been a great
deal of misinformation in the media about both open source and "hackers,"
and I think Ross' story gives our community an opportunity to clear some of
that up.  I don't believe there is any ill intent here, or I would not be
willing to put my reputation on the line. If Ross writes a story that only
negatively associates Linux with hackers, I and my company both lose. If we
in the Linux community want to contribute positively to Linux's acceptance
as more that just a rogue operating system, here is a chance to do that.
And if we don't help Ross do this, who will?

Patty Laushman
President
(303) 757-4611, Ext. 404
The Uptime Group, Inc.
"Integrating the best of traditional and open source technology"